Bots can be connected to multiple networks. For example you can have a bot that connects to Freenode, and another that connects to Mozilla’s IRC network.
Multiple bots for the same network / server is not supported at this time.
Public, Private, and Featured Channels¶
These are primarily distinctions for the Django site and the display of logs.
- Logs for public channels will be available on a public URL like http://example.com/freenode/django
- Featured channels are public channels. Used by botbot.me for highlighting some public channels. May be deprecated in the future.
- Logs for private channels are only availale to authenticated users of the site. They will have URLs that are not easy to guess.
Before logging any public channels, take a couple simple steps to ensure no misunderstandings occur.
- Have the consent of a channel operator.
- Ask the operator to make it clear in the channel topic that it is being logged.
Freenode’s channel guidelines don’t seem to address non-operator users who want to run bots. (see final bullet point) Our preference is to favor honesty and transparency.